Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Hobie 16 Initial gear replaced

I started with some basic items.

First, I got a new mast step link and pin. This was simple to install.


Second was a swivel cam cleat and base for the main traveler. This was a rather simple mechanism, where the base installs to the rear cross-bar, and the swivel cam attaches to the base. The base came with two self-tamping screws and one bolt with a nut. I could not figure out how I was supposed to put that nut inside the rear-cross bar, so I opted to rivet it in instead. I got an inexpensive hand rivet tool, and after a few tries figuring it out, I got the base riveted into the cross bar. The cam screwed onto the base without difficulty.

The trampoline had a bunch of different line holding it together, which I removed and replaced with new cordage. Lacing up the tramp isn't hard, but I'll need to do it better next time to get it tighter. I also removed some of the rotten hiking straps, and eventually removed them all.

I replaced the downhaul line, and got some new shock cords for the trap wires. Eventually, I'll need to get some additional gear for the trap wires to make it fully functional. I just wanted to have something to hold onto.

I got a new extending aluminum hiking stick.

No comments: