Saturday, November 14, 2009

First coat of paint

Using the roll and tip method, I painted the port hull using 1/2 qt of Interlux Brightsides, thinned with 10% Interlux 333 brushing liquid.  As advertised, the paint self-leveled really well.  The result so far is still not what you'd get out of spraying the paint down, but its really good nonetheless.

The application of the Pre-Kote primer is really essential to good flow.  The couple places where I'd inadvertently sanded through the primer ended up streaking and showing the color of the underlying gelcoat.

I'll let this first coat cure for a week before I sand it.  I will be doing a second coat in a week or two, depending on the weather.  Its getting to the coldest time of the year here, and I might have to put everything on hold.  At the rate I'm going, I should be done by spring.

No comments: